Surveying and mapping in Tyrol and western Austria, 1760 to 1793
Cartographica Helvetica 19 (1999) 37–45
Having constructed several different surveying instruments and globes, the Austrian government commissioned Peter Anich, an autodidact, to survey northern Tyrol. After Anich's untimely death, his assistant Blasius Hueber continued the work of surveying and mapping. The resulting Atlas Tyrolensis (20 sheets at the scale 1:103,800, copper engraving, published between 1768 and 1774) served many cartographers as the basis for new maps until the end of the 18th century.
Blasius Hueber himself also had an assistant, Anton Kirchebner, with whom he successively produced various maps of what was then western Austria:
Professor Ignaz von Weinhart, a Jesuit priest, provided scientific background to these Tyrolean 'cartographers', who were actually farmers. The maps themselves represent a historical rarity in the world of cartography in that they are the first modern and, at the same time, the last maps of this extent to be designed by amateurs.